Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Insomnia in the North

Two summers ago, I went on a trip to Alaska. That place might as well be a country of its own. I don't know if any of you have ever been there before, but it is an experience. I am not going to go on and on about what all I did there; however, I wanted to tell you all something strange that I came in contact with.

In the winter time, where we live, it gets dark early, whereas, in the summer time, the daylight lasts longer. Since Alaska is so far north, these conditions go to an extreme. I happened to arrive in Anchorage, Alaska on the first, fine summer day when there would be daylight, not only in the daytime, but also at night. This happened for the entire week I was there. It was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. The sun never went down completely. It seemed as though it was a little less than a sunset at night and a little more than a sunrise in the morning. What was actually "night time", felt more like 7:00 in the morning; it was like that every day. Can you imagine not seeing any darkness for an entire week? In the middle of the "night", there was always a fresh layer of dew on the ground, like in the morning, but no birds would chirp. No, I think they learned to ignore the light. By the third night, I had to put black paper on all of my windows in order to get some shut-eye. Still, I never got any sleep because I could not stop looking out my window at night.

280 words

2 comments:

Wendy said...

That would definitely be strange. I'd like to see it someday.

Would you mind, please, changing your font color to something with a bit more contrast against the dark background. These old eyes are having a bit of trouble reading your posts. Thanks.

Stephanie Otte said...

Omg!!! that would be so wierd, to go to bed and it be light ouside! i can barely sleep when it is completly dark out, let alone with the sun still up. i have heard tht alaska is beautiful! ihave always wanted to go there but i don't know how well i would do since i hate cold weather!!! Did you get to see the northern lights??? I heard you can see them from alaska, that would be incredible!